The call for nominations for the 2022 Board of Directors has closed. The call for nominations opens in the Spring each year.
The Society's goal in its nomination process is to identify an effective volunteer leadership team. AES uses an open and transparent process to ensure fresh ideas on the leadership team while maintaining continuity and insight into the Society's functions. The Nominating Committee recognizes that diversity of experience and background is a pillar of AES culture that enriches AES decision-making.
The Nominating Committee considers a list of key competencies and characteristics for Board officers and directors. These include:
- Understanding and embracing the Society's strategic vision
- Exemplifying core values of the Society
- Demonstrated leadership, knowledge, and engagement in AES and the broader epilepsy community
- Achievement in the field
- Personal commitment and accountability
- A collegial approach to collaboration
During the nomination period AES members are invited to nominate themselves or other involved, qualified members for open positions, however, only members in the Active and Professional categories may serve on the Board of Directors.
- Second Vice President: Prior service on the Board as a full voting member. Current Board members are eligible if they will complete their current term by December 31 of the current year.
- Board Member-At-Large: Prior service as a council or committee chair, and/or service as a member of a committee.
- Nominating Committee Member At-large: Prior service on the Board, and/or as a committee chair or active committee member. The ideal candidate is a visionary and a practical thinker who understands the AES strategic plan and can identify people and ideas that will have a critical long-term impact on the direction of the Society.
- Treasurer-elect: Prior service on the Board as an elected member of in an ex officio capacity by virtue of service as a council chair and has experience and expertise in areas of financial management and oversight. This position is not placed on the slate for ratification.
Conflict of Interest
AES subscribes to the Council on Medical Subspecialties (CMSS) code of interaction with companies and requires all Officers and members of the Board of Directors to abide by these codes as incorporated in AES policy—complying fully within one year of appointment.
Service on the Board of Directors requires participating and preparing for monthly Board conference calls and three in-person Board meetings annually. The Second Vice President also participates in weekly Executive Committee calls and three chair update conference calls each year.
Nominating Committee members prepare for and participate in at least three calls, generally between May and August, with the possibility of one in-person meeting for the development of the final slate.
The Treasurer participates in weekly and monthly Board calls; three in-person meetings; calls with committee chairs and vice chairs; and relevant committee calls. The Treasurer also has periodic phone calls with the executive director to monitor Society financials.
Please contact Lyn Wolfson